BY: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
...So by now your realize that the publication is P or P. The reason for busting out the unpublished archives is to reveal more about the author. For further listening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIQlH60OEk
-Mirah, a Portland, Oregon-based songstress.
In other words, I thought for a moment that I was going to need a break from writing (which I technically already did) to commence an era of strictly private entries, but circumstances have changed. It will be a fly-by-my-seat adventure.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Luck: I do NOT have any real wood to knock in my apartment. This would have come in quite handy as I told people how fortunate I was for not catching any of the virus strains that have been running around, latched to a good number of my Mongolian rug rats, colleagues, and friends. With Luck: It was already Thursday by the time my diminutive, non-threatening cold-sore had matriculated, so I can't be too upset. I was able to take enough drugs and drink enough scalding water to lighten the blow today. And, this weekend's festivities are within grasp--I feel confident that I will actually get to see Anna Agnus Adeota Andahazy (another recent college grad teaching here) for the first time since we've both been K-side.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The gossip crew, consisting of Matthew Teacher and the CC's, often remind me of the horror stories endured by fellow soul-searchers in Korea. Being fired a few months before contract completion, constant harassment from bosses, being lied to about vacation, etc. etc. Also, I've learned that some people work nearly as much as many of the natives here. After talking with "Quadruple A" (Anna Agnus Adeodata Andahazy), it is clear that some teachers are overworked and underpaid. Quad A works 12 hour shifts quite regularly for a wage that amounts to just over 6 and a half bucks/hour based on the Korean won to US dollar ratio.
(for the math, see below. I felt compelled, being in Asia and all. Check: one non-PC term for this blog)
I've always laughed at the following:
"Sorry I'm crampin your style."
-Richard Wheeler (my first GF's father to me on my first date)
But, this phrase hasn't seemed as humorous since starting at Dongtan Leadingtown. Being aware of the sort of messy situations I could've ended up in hasn't made it any easier. As many of you know, sharing any criticism, positive or otherwise, with anyone now affiliated with Leadingtown, is strictly prohibited. Thank God for the internet! *note: the "L" in the preceeding and following references to "Leadingtown" has changed its name to maintain anonymity. I've let my furrowed brow hide for too long, and many supporting anecdotes have escaped me because of their sheer number. Be that as it may, here goes:-Richard Wheeler (my first GF's father to me on my first date)
Leadingtown seems to be a breeding ground for tension. It clouds the atmosphere. If it rained indoors, we would be burned alive on account of it desensitizing the smoke alarms. Though I've personally been able to avoid it, being in its midst doesn't do a whole lot for stress levels, especially while being sick and worrying about some other people I know.
For example, crying seems to be a popular activity here. The academic manager/director/i-don't-know-what-to-call her cries at least 3 times a week. Eating lunch in the break room hasn't been much of a treat as of late. It is a little uncomfortable when someone who I can't always understand, tries to explain how much she abhors the other admins and native teachers. And though at the time, it was joked about, said manager and another Korean-teacher has gone toe to larger toe in an all-out screaming match, that, obviously ended in tears--this has happened several times. Kleenex's are some of the most popular office supplies in the lounge.
Conversely, sometimes the confrontations aren't as conspicuous. On a separate occasion (just today), a seemingly harmless 5-minute b-day celebration turned into a battle of different proportions. Joseph Teacher (the name that haunts little Korean boys and girls everywhere), failed to make it to his brief cake ceremony, and a passive aggressive brawl ensued. For not attending, Jessica (the sweet 1st lady of Leadingtown, who's told me I have a nice voice), gave the entire cake away. Joseph, in response, turned a cold-shoulder to everyone. Not only that, he exploded at a fellow newbie, who, until today, was enjoying her safety from it all.
Morever, I have been witness to some pretty questionable shit that goes on, primarily, in the higher echelons of Leadingtown. Shady deals and hypocrisy are no strangers to theses halls.
I just recently found out that on some of our recent post-work outings, the receipt has been taken back to the big cheese, so that the buyer of the evening could be reimbursed. The catch is, the buyer hasn't been the one taking the receipt into Director San's office. The buyers (plural) happen to be everyone BUT the reimbursed.
Also, on one of these nights, I've been approached by an individual to leave the company to join a new Hagwan. The catch here is that the particular individual was precisely the person who, on my very first day, told me the biggest mistake I could make was merely associate myself with another foreign teacher not from Leadingtown (it was only insinuated what would happen if I were to consider leaving).
In my brief time, I've already seen a few victims of these circumstances. Chelsea (the woman without a definite title), Emma, Sunny, Sue, Oprah, and ??? have all either left or expressed their desire to do so. Who knows how far the collateral damage will spread.
The list could continue, but you get the picture. And ultimately, I DO realize things could be worse. I realize that I have been getting some preferential treatment for some reason (for example: I have a 4 less class sessions per week than other foreign teachers, I get to teach the more advanced classes, I haven't been approached for accidentally breaking the dress code, etc.)...I have my suspicions as to why, but that's another story. And after all, much of stress is relegated to Korean-only conversations and closed-door meetings. But, I sometimes just feel like saying, "YOU'RE JUST MAKING IT WORSE!" :) It's like I'm standing in front of Leni and Christine Wolf all over again; I can't help but wonder if they are talking about me.
the math
As of the 5th, the won traded at 1,475.75/dollar, according to Seoul Money Brokerage Services Ltd. It translates like this:
100 cents
-------------- = .067762
1,475.75 won
That means, for every 1000 won made here, we make around 68 cents. This is absolutely crazy considering that only four months ago, 1,000W gave you $1.
So, the 2,300,000W/month that was promised turns into approximately, 1,800,000W, after taxes and other expenses are taken out. This is equivalent to around 139716 pennies a month, or $1,397.16.
At the moment, it is safe to say she works 50 hours/week.
On average, each month has around 21 working days. (10 hours/week X 21 = 210 hours/month)
$1,397.16
------------ = $6.65/hour
210 hours
In The Next Issue:
-The Upside of Work
-Thanks for Sharing: Holidays with the Fam!
No comments:
Post a Comment